The Merriam Webster's online dictionary defines "Movers & Shakers" as a person who is active or influential in some field of endeavor. That perfectly describes our very first "Mover & Shaker" for Mr. Latino Magazine - Sacramento.
Cristina Mendonsa - Mom, Wife, Journalist. How ironic the interviewer being interviewed.
Cristina is best known as the extremely popular KXTV News10 anchor who currently anchors all three of News10's highly rated and award winning evening news programs. She has received numerous professional honors and awards as well as being recognized by many groups and organizations. Cristina is a proud member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and graduate of Sacramento State University in Government/Journalism.
We recently had the unique opportunity to sit down with Cristina for an interview while she took time out of her very busy schedule to meet up with us at "The Place" in downtown Roseville, Ca. The intimidation factor was definitely present with us, the seasoned interviewer being interviewed. We had just launched our Sacramento version of ML the month before and this was the first time the team had actually worked together on any project let alone a video interview and photo shoot with one of the most recognized personalities in Sacramento. Once Cristina arrived and we chatted for a few minutes while we finished setting up, she quickly put us at ease. Her approachability and interest in ML was very apparent and genuine.
But still, I was glad that I only wrote the questions and didn't have to conduct the interview.
After a quick photo shoot and a glass of wine (take note Cristina held the glass but didn't take a drink, she wanted to but no) we were ready to get into the interview. We hit the usual topics such as awards, works, assignments, etcetera etcetera, but what we really wanted was something a little more personal and inspiring. Although all of Cristina's works, awards and recognitions are very important and very well deserved as you will see in the interview, we wanted to deliver her journey and what a journey it has been for Cristina.
Get ready for a very interesting interview conducted by Mr. Latino Sacramento's Jacob D. Garcia as we learn more about Cristina's background, life growing up, experiences, sacrifices, marriage, her thoughts of being a role model to many especially to young Latinas.
It was a complete honor to have Cristina Mendonsa represent Mr. Latino Magazine - Sacramento as our very first "Mover & Shaker". We would also like to thank Cristina for taking time out of her very busy schedule for us. We wish Cristina continued success in life and work and welcome you the ML Family of "Movers & Shakers"!
Awards, Recognitions & More:
- Two Edward R. Murrow awards (both regional and national)
- Two Emmy awards
- Honored with a federal "Hispanic Salute" award from the Bureau of Land Management
- "Example of Excellence" award from American Women in Radio and Television
- A NAMI national award for her work on mental health issues.
- She currently serves on a global entrepreneurship industry advisory board for the Centers For International Trade Development and has produced a multimedia curriculum in use by the Los Rios Community College District.
- A series on wilderness survival earned Cristina recognition from the U.S. Congress
- An award winning special she produced called, "News10 Remembers" highlighted memories of News10's veteran reporting staff.
- Her work in the Sacramento community on behalf of higher education earned her the 2010 Distinguished Alumni Award from Sacramento State University.